MFE: Building Our Future
Mathews Elementary Friends for Excellence (MFE) was established in 2005 as an endowment fund committee by educators, parents, and alumni. The money MFE raises is primarily designated to provide support for new initiatives and activities that do not get funded by AISD. MFE funding helps create an experience at Mathews that is world-class.
One special task that MFE is currently supporting at Mathews includes the Maker Movement. The mission of the Maker Movement is to help every student, starting with Pre-K, develop confidence, creativity, an interest in hands-on problem solving in science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM). MFE’s support specifically provides training opportunities to develop educator’s skills to integrate Making into their current classroom settings and prepare them to train and teach others.
Other MFE projects include support for dyslexia curriculum, robotics kits, playground renewal funding, and alumni scholarships. We welcome any and all current or former students, staff, parents, and community members to join us in supporting excellence at Mathews. Please contact MFE chairperson, Amy Kinkade (email@example.com), or committee member, Sara Belknap (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you would like to join our group at monthly meetings during the school year to plan for an enhanced future for Mathews.
MFE Scholarships for Mathews Alumni
Deadline: April 10, 2020
The Mathews Elementary School Friends for Excellence Scholarship has been established to recognize former students who have excelled in their academic endeavors, supported their family and/or community through various service projects, and/or participated in extra-curricular activities, and proven that they possess the drive to further their education.
The scholarship will be awarded based on a combination of academic performance, participation in extra-curricular, family and/or community activities, completeness of essay, and letters of recommendation. A subcommittee of the Mathews Friends for Excellence will evaluate the applicants and select a recipient.
The requirements for the scholarship are as follows:
- Applicant attends and will graduate from an Austin ISD high school.
- Applicant attended Mathews Elementary for at least one year.
- Applicant has a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better at the time of the application.
- Applicant has demonstrated involvement in one or more of the following:
- Extra-curricular activities;
- Support of family, community service based organizations;
- Church activities.
- Applicant intends to continue his/her studies beyond high school, including but not limited to:
- University, community, or junior college;
- Vocational school.
- Applicant submits a completed application package by the scholarship deadline. (Incomplete packages will not be considered.)
In order to be considered as a candidate, please complete the application form and submit all required documents, postmarked or electronically time-stamped, no later than April 10, 2020 to:
Mathews Elementary School
Attn: Friends for Excellence Scholarship
906 West Lynn
Austin, Texas 78703
Scholarships recipients will be honored at a 6th Grade Assembly in May. The recipients will be asked to say a few words to the students and read their essays. The essays for all applicants become the property of Mathews Elementary and may be used for future publications.
Here’s the link to apply: https://goo.gl/forms/xZt9yJWStg17IKyQ2
Preserving Our Past
In addition, MFE also maintains an alumni and staff database, collects oral histories and holds Mathews alumni events. A special focus on the MFE Hall of Honor traditionally honors the people who have compellingly contributed to the Mathews story. If you would like to nominate someone you feel has been instrumental in furthering our school’s devotion to excellence, please drop a note in the MFE box in the office, or contact one of the current board members with your suggestion. We firmly believe that in order to chart our course into the future we must know where we have been.
Donate a gift online today!
Online: Go to http://www.austincf.org.
Step 1: Click Donate (top right corner).
Step 2: Scroll to Keyword Search (name or description) and type in “Mathews”.
Step 3: Click Donate.
Step 4: Select an amount.
Step 5: Select payment plan.
Step 6: Type in donor profile, billing address information and special instructions, including tribute gifts in honor or memory of someone.
Step 7: Payment details.
Donate a gift by check payable to:
“Mathews Elementary Friends for Excellence”
Please include a note with your email address, and mail your check to:
Mathews Elementary School
c/o MFE Treasurer
906 West Lynn Street
Austin, Texas 78703
Current Mathews Friends of Excellence Board Members:
- Chair, Amy Kinkade (former staff, email@example.com)
- Grace Brewster (current staff, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mary Baughman (former parent, email@example.com)
- Sara Belknap (former parent and staff, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ann Lilie (former staff, email@example.com)
- Ruthann Rushing (former staff, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Saralyn B Stewart (former student, email@example.com)
- Deborah Thomas (former parent, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ellu Nasser (community volunteer, email@example.com)
- Anne Simpson (community volunteer, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Our heartfelt gratitude goes to these contributors:
- Dynamic Reprographics
- Whole Foods
- Fresh Plus
- Galaxy Café
- J-D Nava, Graphic Artist
- Many anonymous donors
Recommend Someone for an MFE Scholarship
Looking to recommend someone for an MFE scholarship? You can do so using this form.