Welcome to our Digital Wednesday Folder. This page is updated once per week; please check it every Wednesday afternoon for the latest important information.
Week 13 – Nov 12 – Nov 16, 2018
Amazon Rewards – The holidays are quickly approaching, remember if you shop on Amazon you can give back to Mathews. We earn 4-8% of every purchase you make! Just use our unique Amazon School Rewards link every time you shop: https://www.amazon.com/?&tag=mathe360-20
Book Fair – Our teachers have created wish lists for their classrooms. If you’d like to purchase a book for your child’s classroom please ask one of our fantastic volunteers in the library or inquire with your teacher(s). Any help you can give in stocking our teacher’s shelves with new books for their students is much appreciated!
Thanksgiving Lunch Thurs 11/15 – Families are invited to join us for a Thanksgiving lunch during their child’s lunch period. Flyer with details HERE. Our lunch schedule:
- 10:30 – 11:00 am PreK
- 10:50 – 11:20 am 4th Grade
- 11:05 – 11:35 am 3rd Grade
- 11:20 – 11:50 am 2nd Grade
- 11:35 am – 12:05 pm 5th Grade
- 11:45 am – 12:20 pm Kindergarten
- 12:10 – 12:40 pm 1st Grade
- 12:20 – 12:50 pm 6th Grade
Burundian Bijoux Holiday Sale – Fellow Mathews Parent Felicissima Nzeyimana is holding a Jewelry sale Nov 24 11AM to 1PM at Fresh Plus on West Lynn. More info HERE.
Auto Theft Prevention – Our local Austin Police Department Neighborhood Liaison reached out to let us know they have seen a spike in auto thefts and they expect that to continue through the holidays. Please see their prevent tips HERE to keep your car safe.
Mathews Meeting – Please join us for our next Mathews PTA mtg on Tues Nov 27th at 7:45am in the cafeteria. Coffee & breakfast tacos will be served. All are welcome.
School Closed – for the Thanksgiving Holiday Nov 19 – Nov 23. Have a wonderful break!
Week 12 – Nov 5 – Nov 9, 2018
Volunteer Opportunities This Weekend!!
- Building & Grounds Work Day – Saturday 11/10 9am to noon. Bring your gloves and tools and help us spruce up our outdoor spaces.
- Fine Arts Night Prep – Saturday 11/10 11am to 3pm. Calling parent volunteers to help Ms. Jennifer mount all of the student artwork in preparation for Fine Arts Night. Come for as much time as you can. The front door will be open, come upstairs to the art room.
Thanksgiving Luncheon Thursday 11/15 – Families are invited to join us for a Thanksgiving lunch during their child’s lunch period. Flyer with details HERE.
Fall Book Fair 11/12 – 11/16 – We still need Parent Volunteers. Sign up sheet is HERE.
School Shirt Sale This Week – Our school shirts will be sold every day after school this week for $15 (cash only) in the main hall. Shirts available in blue, green or purple.
Wishtree Donations Needed – We’re preparing for our final assembly for our school-wide read aloud of Katherine Applegate’s Wishtree and are looking for a few donations to make the day special. We are in need of light colored cloth scraps, cloth markers, and tree-friendly rope (enough for each class to have a section). If you’re able to help with any of these, please drop off your donations in the front office by Tuesday, November 13th. Thank you!
Week 11 – Oct 29 – Nov 2, 2018
- Octoberama is a wrap! Thank you again to our amazing committee, parent & community volunteers and sponsors for making it a huge success!
- Picture Day is this Friday! Stop by the front office if you need an order form.
- Building & Grounds Workday is coming right up on Saturday Nov 10th from 9am-12pm. Save the date, more info to come.
- Fall Book Fair is set for Nov 12-16. Parents, please consider volunteering. Sign up sheet is HERE.
Week 10 – October 21-28, 2018
- Octoberama – Saturday, October 27, 2018, from 11-3p. Everything you need to know is on our website HERE!
- Report Cards and Picture forms will be going home today.
- COVER3 Mathews Give Back Night – TONIGHT Wednesday 10/24 – Eat out and support Mathews! Our friends at Cover3 Downtown will be donating 10% of sales back to Mathews PTA 10/24 from 4pm-10pm. Grab your friends and neighbors and dine out for a good cause. Make sure to mention Mathews PTA to your server
- PreSale Tickets – Going home today.
- Cake Contest – don’t forget to drop off your cakes Friday morning in the library.
- Ann Richards Drum Line – Performance during our Friday morning assembly on the blacktop, parents are invited to stay! Rumor has it Mazilla will be attending…
- Silent Auction – after assembly head over to the Gym and check our our silent auction. It will be open from 8am to 4pm Friday and again Saturday 11am to 2:15pm.
- Sponsors – HUGE shout out of thanks to our amazing Octoberama Sponsors this year. We are so grateful for your support of Mathews!
- Book Character Dress Day – Friday, October 26, 2018. Friday is our annual Book Character Dress-up Day! All students (and staff) are encouraged to dress up as their favorite book character. Details HERE.
- Red Ribbon Week is October 23-31st. The Red Ribbon Campaign® is the oldest and largest drug prevention program in the nation and a way for people and communities to take a visible stand for healthy lifestyles. Approximately 74,000 American lives were lost last year due to drug overdose, so the need for education and advocacy in this area is immense. Mathews will celebrate Red Ribbon Day next Monday, Oct. 29th. This year’s theme is “Life is Your Journey, Travel Drug Free.” Please encourage your students to wear something red that day if possible.Students will each receive a Red Ribbon Bracelet when they take the Red Ribbon Pledge below:
“I pledge to grow up safe, healthy, and drug free by: Understanding the dangers of drug use and abuse. Respecting myself and being drug free. Spreading the word to family and friends about the importance of being healthy and drug free. Thanks so much for supporting the Red Ribbon Campaign!”
Week 9- October 15-19, 2018
- PTA Mtg Tuesday 10/23 at 7:45am in the Cafeteria – PTA is hosting AISD School Board Candidates for District 9 (At Large Position) – Arati Singh and Carmen Tilton. Come meet your Candidates and learn more! Breakfast & coffee will be served.
- COVER3 Mathews Give Back Night Wednesday 10/24 – Eat out and support Mathews! Our friends at Cover3 Downtown will be donating 10% of sales back to Mathews PTA 10/24 from 4pm-10pm. Grab your friends and neighbors and dine out for a good cause. Make sure to mention Mathews PTA to your server!
- Octoberama is Coming Saturday October 27th!!
- Pre-order your tickets, find out how to participate in our cake decorating contest, check out our line up of food vendors & entertainment, silent auction details, all on our event page HERE!!!!
- Please volunteer for a shift in your classroom booth. Our event is run 100% by volunteers and we need you! Sign up sheets were sent out in LivingTree.
- We are still accepting donations of prizes or halloween candy for the festival. Drop your donation off in the wooden Dino-Bin in the main hallway.
Get ready for OCTOBERAMA SPIRIT WEEK Mon 10/22-Fri 10/26
- Raffle with giant plush animals and LEGO sets
- Friday morning assembly with a not-to-miss performance by the Ann Richards School drum line (& maybe a Mazilla sighting!)
- Friday early bird Octoberama Silent Auction shopping day
- Unveiling of Mathews 2018 T-shirts!
More Upcoming Events:
- October 19th – Flu Shot Clinic
- October 22nd – Campus Advisory Council Meeting at 3:15pm in the Library
- October 26th – Book Character Dress Up Day!
- October 29th – Honor Roll Assembly
Week 8- October 8-12, 2018
- Green Team Grounds Clean-Up Saturday October 13 from 9am-12pm – Diana McMillan and Claudia Neal, co-chairs for our campus Green Team, are hosting a grounds clean-up this Saturday. We will be weeding, pruning, planting and mulching! Bring your gloves! Help us spruce up the school as we prepare to garden and clean up before Octoberama! Meet at the back of the school, the gate will be open.
- Spinal screenings are Thursday October 25 – State law requires that schools must screen students for abnormal spinal curvatures in accordance with the following schedule: Girls will be screened two times, once at age 10 (or fall semester of grade 5) and again at age 12 (or fall semester of grade 7). Boys will be screened one time at age 13 or 14 (or fall semester of grade 8). Trained screeners will check your child for signs of spinal problems like scoliosis. Please see the LivingTree post by Grace Brewster for more details.
- Book Character Day is Friday October 26 – Students are encouraged to dress up as their favorite book character and come to school in costume along with the book that inspired their character costume. Students are encouraged to make costumes with materials they already own. Dressing in costume is not required. See further details HERE.
- OCTOBERAMA is Saturday October 27!
- More Upcoming Events:
- October 19th – Flu Shot Clinic
- October 20th – Monster Concert at Austin High at 6:00 pm
- October 22nd – Campus Advisory Council (CAC) Meeting at 3:15pm in the library
- October 23rd – PTA Meeting at 7:45am in the cafeteria
Week 7- October 1-5, 2018
- Author visit from Jorge Argüeta – Among his numerous works, he is best known to our students for his bilingual cooking poem series that includes — Guacamole — with very cute, imaginative illustrations by Margarita Sada. He will be presenting to our students on Thursday, October 4th in the Mathews Library. Mr. Argüeta will autograph books brought from home that you may already own as well as the book available for purchase that day, titled, Olita and Manyula The Big Birthday. JA Author Visit.
- Skip the line and order Octoberama tickets early online! Get your tickets early to avoid lines on October 27th and receive extra tickets as a free bonus AND a $10 gift card to Whole Earth Provision Company! The deadline to order pre-sale tickets is Sunday, October 21st, don’t miss your chance! Tickets will be sent home with your child on Wednesday, October 24th. 2018 Octoberama Ticket Pre Sale (1)
- This is a short week for us as the students do not have school on Friday, October 5th. The staff will be learning together for our first District of Innovation Staff Development day at the Blanton Museum so there is NO SCHOOL on Friday, October 5th. Next week is a short week too as Monday is the AISD designated fall parent/teacher conference day, which means there is NO SCHOOL on Monday, October 8th.
- Morning Hug Zone New this week: We’re having parents/families hug and say goodbye in the front hallway at the bottom of the stairs to reduce morning congestion in the hallways.
- Morning Tardies… Please make sure your student is in their classroom when the bell rings at 7:40 am. If they are not in their classroom when the bell rings at 7:40, the student will need to get a tardy slip from the office.
Week 5 – September 17-21, 2018
- Flu Shot Clinic – There is still time to register online for our voluntary flu shot clinic. The clinic will be held on Friday, October 19th at Mathews. You must give consent by registering online in advance: Flu Shot Online Registration.
- Mathews Choir Registration Open – Interested in joining our 3rd-6th grade choir, more info and online registration HERE.
- Austin High Vertical Team Night – Mathews families, join us Friday evening September 28th at House Park Field to experience a Friday night full of football, band, cheer, dance and school spirit! Mathews students get into the football game free if they wear a Mathews shirt! More info HERE.
- Join Mathews PTA – Please consider joining our amazing PTA. Family dues are only $20 per year. To learn more about the programs and initiatives the PTA sponsors and to join online click HERE.
- Join Cub Scouts – Learn more about our Cub Scout Pack for Kinder through 3rd Graders at our information mtg Wednesday 9/26 @ 5:30pm in the Mathews Library.
- Concert & Picnic in the Park – OWANA is hosting a concert in the West Austin Neighborhood Park this Friday evening from 5:30-7:30pm. Live music by Colin Gilmore. Food available for purchase from Stacked Sliders food truck. More info HERE.
Week 4 – September 10-14, 2018
- Tonight is back to School Night for 3-6th grade! Please note, Mathews does not provide childcare during our Back to School Nights. While this is intended to be a parent-focused event, if you need to bring your child(ren) with you they just need to stay with you during the event. They can not be unsupervised; we do not have staff on duty to ensure their safety. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to seeing you all there.
- Flu shot permission slips are going home with the students today. You can fill out the paper form or register online at Flu Shot Online Registration. Please register online or return the forms by September 14. The flu clinic will be held on Friday, October 19th. The clinic is completely voluntary and parental consent must be given before a student will be given the flu shot. We thank you for your cooperation.
- School Cash Online Class Fees. If you are able to, please pay your class fees as soon as possible. These fees are intended to pay for T-shirts, class trips, etc. The sooner the teachers have the funds the sooner they can order, plan and pay for the field trips and Tshirts. austinisd.schoolcashonline.com
- Groundwork Music Project still has space in their after school ukulele class that meets on Thursdays. Register online HERE.
- Octoberama is coming up on October 27, 2018! Flyer with the details is HERE.
- Please make every effort to have your child at school on time each school day. Students need to be inside their classroom by 7:40 am each day.
Have a great week!
Week 3 – September 3-7, 2018
I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend!
- Back to School Nights are coming up on Sept 11th and 12th! Please note, Mathews does not provide childcare during our Back to School Nights. While this is intended to be a parent-focused event, if you need to bring your child(ren) with you they just need to stay with you during the event. They can not be unsupervised. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to seeing you all there!
- School Cash Online – as a reminder, we are using School Cash Online for school payments. Our school and the district are moving towards becoming paperless and cashless. This saves the school valuable resources and funds. Thank you for your cooperation in making this transition. If you need assistance in setting up your account please contact the office and we will be happy to help.
- Donations – New this year, we have created entries on School Cash Online for donations. These donations are completely optional, you can donate as much or as little as you would like. These school donations help to cover everything from snacks for the students, supplies, technology, learning and enrichment opportunities. Each year we have different needs that are covered by donations. We appreciate any and all help! Thank you Mathews Community!
- Lost and Found – We have the designated bins in the hallway in front of the office window as s space to a place forgotten lunches, backpacks, etc. If anything is forgotten, please place the item in the bin and then contact your student’s teacher via email to notify the student that their item is in the bin and then the student can retrieve it.
- Octoberama Sponsorship & Silent Auction Opportunities – The Octoberama committee is busy working on our beloved event and look forward to October 27th! In the meantime, we’re actively seeking parents or businesses that are interested in sponsoring the event or donating items for our silent auction. Silent auction donations can include products, services, experiences, artwork, vacation rentals, etc. Perhaps you would like to donate items as a family and include the kids! Or if you own a small business, advertise to hundreds of potential patrons by donating an item, and we will attach your business card and/or logo to the signage. If interested silent auction donations, please contact Darcy by September 26th. If interested in sponsorship donations, please contact Sarah by October 5th. Sponsorships: Sarah Thomas, sarahlawrencethomas@
gmail.com Silent Auction: Darcy Ahmed, email@example.com
Week 2 – August 27-31, 2018
Hi Parents! Welcome to the second week of school! We are getting settled in for a great year!
- Please remember to hug and go in the morning. We know the transitions at the beginning of the year are tough, but if you can help keep the halls and cafeteria clear in the mornings that would help us ensure the safety of all students. We thank you for your cooperation.
- Starting next week we will provide a space to a place forgotten lunches, backpacks, etc. There will be a shelf with bins right outside of the office. If anything is forgotten, please place the item in the bin and then contact your student’s teacher via email to notify the student that their item is in the bin and then the student can retrieve it.
- Many of the After School Enrichment programs will start next week! Here is the schedule and contact information for the different programs offered by Mathews. Fall 2018 Enrichment Schedule
Week 1 – August 20-24, 2018
Hello Parents! Welcome to the 2018/2019 School year at Mathews! This week we had a paper folder and we are also posting things online. All other weeks will be located here.
Parents, please remember to hug and go in the morning. The number of parents that have been in the hallway and cafeteria in the morning has made the transition to the classrooms challenging for our youngest students.
District Information Forms